From:
Jen Galas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:33:43 -0700
Hello all once again,

Gotta admit...first time I'm coming out of lurking to defend myself.  My
hard drive is down, so my email time is limited to the half hour I have
before I start my shift at work (or if I stay late off the clock - like
now)...so I've been a little behind.

So imagine how I felt when I pulled up my past FMLs to discover this
debate again...

I'm going to admit - I am the shelter Kris is referring to.  I sent out
an email to a few trusted contacts/past adopters last week inquiring if
anyone wanted to foster rescues.  If anyone wants to see the original
email, drop me a line, I'll be glad to forward it to you.

Yes, I am a breeder and yes, my cage space is currently limited because
I have babies.  But that is NOT the end of the story - some things are
being left out.

I will GLADLY take in shelter kids if they come with cages - my house
will fit more furkids and more cages.  At this time, the only open cage
I have will fit 2 ferrets comfortably.  That's it.  My other cages are
too small and are reserved for travel/surgery recovery only.  So in order
for me, personally, to take in more ferrets, I have to have cages to put
them in.

Secondly, my email CLEARLY stated that *I* would still be doing the
rehab/adoption work.  I will be paying the medical bills, doing the
vaccinations, performing and paying for the ADV tests, screening
potential adoptors, reimbursing the foster home for food/litter, etc.
AND I'm giving any adoption fees to the foster home to compensate them
for their time and trouble!

Thirdly, as to my integrity and vet bills - let me tell you that it is
NOT a ploy to get a discount.  Call my vet.  402-330-3096.  Ask them
about how I work.  Shelter ferrets are in one account and sometimes get
a discount.  Personal/breeder ferrets are in another account and NEVER
get a discount.

Fourth, I do NOT promote my babies over my rescues.  Other way around,
in fact.  When I get calls for babies, I ALWAYS ask if the person has
considered adopting a shelter ferret first.  Babies and retired breeders
are also listed separately on my website.  I also have a contract stating
that I want any baby of mine that can no longer be kept be returned to
ME.  I'm not adding to unwnated ferrets.  I know full well what is
involved with responsible breeding.

In summation - now I know why shelters are afraid to ask for help.  I
just asked for some people with more cage space if they'd like to foster,
and now my integrity is under fire.  To those that would like to know my
exact practices, I'll be glad to share - right down to pulling out my
checkbook and making copies of the bills to show what money goes where.
Just ask - but do so privately...please don't flood the list with a
debate that's already been beaten to death.

Is the ferret community really that narrow-minded that a rescue ISN'T a
rescue anymore when they still do almost all the work, pay all the bills,
but the rescued ferrets live somewhere else?

Jen

=====
Jen Galas, LVT
President, Legion of Superferrets Midwest
Legion of Superferrets of Iowa Ferret Shelter
Black Dragon Ferretry
Visit Our Website at http://pages.ivillage.com/jedi.knight/
Help support the homeless fuzzies in our care
by shopping with iGive: http://www.iGive.com/LOSofIA
If you don't rescue, DON'T BREED!