From:
Cinnamon Sprite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:41:50 -0400
My family currently has many animals, Ferrets as well as others, in our
care.  Most, by your definition, could be considered "rescues" and we
"rescuers".

Of the 14 Ferrets we've taken in only one was purchased as a kit from a
pet store.  The rest were all "throw aways", ranging in age from 5 months
to 7-8+ years old.  The majority were at least 3-4 years old and in need
of medical care, ranging from meds to surgeries, when coming to us.  All
recieved it and found a forever home here.

Our dog Binky was completely paralyzed when we found him left to die in
the streets.  Our cat Josie was mutilated and covered in maggots when we
found her (her injuries so severe amputation of a rear leg was required).
Our cat Tyler was found (again, in the streets) with three intestinal
perforations, the infection from which had him near death.  All required
extensive, and expensive, medical care.  All recieved it and found a
forever home here.

The list goes on.

We do not consider ourselves a rescue nor rescuers, nor do we refer to
ourselves as such.  We do not feel that being compassionate animal lovers
who take in those we come across which we are able to help and home gives
us a right to any special title, nor any benefits or kodos that may go
along with that title.

As for the "rescuer" in question, who you admit you know nothing about,
looking deeper into the situation may help to answer your questions.
Does this person truely "take in mainly those that can not be adopted
out", "the old and sick", " the old and infirm", as fits your definition
of a rescuer, or do they simply take in any they can.  Ask also what
reason this person has to "announce" themselves as a "rescue".  By their
own words they are looking to "finance" their "rescue".  While there is
nothing wrong with legitimate shelters and/or rescues seeking a means to
increase funding there is something definitly wrong with someone trying
to finance personals by misleading others.

Perhaps the person who previously questioned this "rescuer" is more
familiar with the circumstances than you are yourself.  Perhaps you
should look into the situation a bit deeper.  Sometimes, knowing the
details makes the difference.

--
Karen McCabe