From:
"Nancy Hartman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 09 May 1991 01:06:55 -0400
(reply to Christopher Cilley's message)

> 1) Is it legal to own a ferret in Boston?  Massachusetts?

Moving from California to Massachusetts...  Boy, you can really pick
them can't you.  Yes ferrets are illegal in MA.  But, they aren't
militant about it, like they are in California.  From what I understand,
you can pretty much get away with it, unless someone actually turns
you in.  The MA officials don't go out on ferret hunts.  And, if you
are caught in MA, I think all they do is put the ferret in a shelter,
not kill it.  So, if you *MUST* have a ferret in MA, it's a good idea
to know a resident of one of the bordering states who can come
"adopt" your ferret back for you.

I don't condemn people for owning ferrets in an illegal state, but I
don't recommend it, either.  Remember, a lot of the animals in shelters
are there because the "Landlord caught them."

> 2) I'm not totally sure of my schedule, but certainly I'll have some long
> class days.  Would it be nice/kind/wise to get a second pet (cat, another
> ferret, etc.) so that no one feels lonely?  i.e. playmates

Ferrets will do fine if left alone.  They sleep around 14 hours a day, and
they tend to sleep when bored, so the ferret will probably spend
most of the time you're away asleep.  But, it probably would be nice
to have a playmate for him/her anyway.

> 3) Just how easy is it to train a ferret?  I'm thinking about practical
> things like "no chewing on this" and "here is your litter box".

Ferret's aren't chewers, well, at least not as bad as a dog.  If you
do have a problem with them chewing something, there's a product
called "Bitter Apple" that you can spray on whatever it is.

Ferrets are very neat animals, so litter training is fairly simple.

[You're lucky.  We've tried with only limited success]

I've seen a video of ferrets that were trained to roll over, or jump for
treats.  So they can be trained "tricks".

> 4) They can be litter trained, yes?  I had a cat that I was pretty easily
> able to train to use the toilet and was able to get rid of the litter box.
> Has anyone been able to train a ferret similarly?  Perhaps some other kind
> of toiletry?

A ferret would have a hard time 1. jumping up to a toilet.  2. perching
on the edge.  and 3.  Getting out when they fall in from 1 or 2.  :-)

> 5) What can I expect as monthly costs for food and such?  I'll be on a
> stipend so I need to look at the budget.

You will have to buy good, quality cat or ferret food.  They simply
are not healthy on a diet of "grocery store" type cat food.  Ferrets
need a high level of animal protein, since the food is only in their
system for about 3 hours (the "transit time"), they don't have time to
break down vegetable protein.  Most grocery store brands have a high
level of vegetable protein.

> 6) What are typical costs for 'fixing' and shots for a new animal?  I assume
> (at least if I want to get them trained) that I'd be better off getting
> a young animal.

If you get one from a pet store it will already be neutered/spayed and
descented.

[Not if it's a kit.  Our vet won't do them until they're 8-10 months old,
and pet stores sell them as young as 6 weeks]

I have no idea what it would cost to have it done.  Call
your local vet.

If you get an older ferret, you might be lucky enough to have the
training already done for you!  It can't hurt to check the shelters
out.

> 7) Is there anything "bad" that is just impossible to train them against?
> i.e. they will *always* dig up house plants or somesuch.

Plants is probably a good example... Another that I've been unable to
break is getting in the kitchen cabinets.  Also, getting on the table.
That's where ferret proofing comes in.  Just don't leave anything on
the table that they can get into.  (Like house plants... :-) )

> 8) Pointers to references on ferret "owner's manual".

The best book available, that I've found, is "Ferrets:  A complete pet
owner's manual"  (Or something very similar.  I've loaned my copy out
for a few days, so I can't check) by Chuck and Fox Morton.

> Thanks for any help!

No problem.  I'm also e-mailing you a huge file.  If anyone else
out there wants it, let me know.

> The state I'll be moving to is California - I really appreciate any
> addresses that you can get for me.

Here's the only one I have.  It's listed as a shelter, but I'm sure they
could point you to the correct people if they can't help you themselves.

California Domestic Ferret Association
P.O. Box 1868
Healdsburg, CA  95448

Contact:  Bill Phillips 707 431-7364

Chris,

I posted to the net about the ferret list, and some people have
mentioned that their mail to you is bouncing.  I posted the new
address you have at the bottom of your files.  Any ideas???

[Which address did you use?  Note that I just changed the UUCP addresses.
If you can give me a copy of one of the bounces, maybe I can figger it
out.  You might as well include my phone number in your next post -
it works, and I just had somebody who saw your post hunt thru the
half page of Lewis's in the phone book to find me.]

Everyone in the Delaware Valley keep your eyes on the News Journal.
There should be an article about ferrets/me/the Delaware Valley Ferret
Club running any time!!

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                                   CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                                U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree