From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:21:59 EDT
>So many people I have talked to have told me that they thought sables
>were ugly or that they didn't want it because it was sable.  Well some
>of my favorites are sables.  I have other colors too but they all have
>certain personalities.  He was not the only one I talked to.  I also got
>an email from a woman on this post who told me she didn't want sables
>because they were nasty.  It pains me that these ferrets are being judged
>before they are given a chance.  They are all so sweet and beautiful...

OMG this is terrible.  I picked Miss Jazz and Calvin FOR their
personalities and both are sable.  They are lovely in winter when their
fur is thick and shimmery, and in summer when they both lighten up and
Miss Jazz's coat gets whiter underneath.  When they sit under the desk
lamp the tips of their fur actually shine.  I can't imagine bypassing
either becausse they are a sable.

I do know some people who like to own an animal for the "kudos" they get
some having a "pretty little dog..." etc.  My feeling is that's fine,
but don't dismiss an entire class of ferret either.  I'm much more
appreciative of a person who can "see inside" their own little animal.

you said:
>Of course i am going to throughly check them over and make sure that a
>baby is right for them.  Most people got pet store babies (sometimes
>raptors) and went through the stage and understand it.  Others have
>never had a baby baby.  I interview these people and find out their
>experience.  If I didn't think they were right, they I won't adopt.

I Add: I had to stop breeding rabbits because the adopters around here
just got too creepy.  It literally hurt my heart thinking of some of my
little ones with bad adopters, so I just kept them.

A baby animal is very different.  My little girl Ling-ling is now about
16 weeks and still very much a baby.  She is at the play stage that
is absolutely endless.  She still has to put my hand or finger in her
mouth but we have worked through her chomping down on it.  If someone
is NOT experienced in babies I would not recommend them.  If they ARE
experienced a baby is the most wonderful little one.  They cuddle, are
fast learners, and play with wild abandon lol.

Just my two cents ~
Mary Conley