From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 23:46:37 -0500
>From:    Jamie Maria Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I've noticed a lot of talk on ferret vaccines lately.  My guys have all
>had reactions to Ferevac-D, the only ferret distemper vac we carry at
>work... I'm now afraid to vaccinate them against distemper.  I work for
>a vet and already we've seen two cases of canine distemper in puppies,
>luckily I didn't have to work on them... I'm a bit leery of trying the
>Merial vaccine.  I've never had a problem with the rabies, nor have I
>seen a reaction in our few ferret patients....

Hi.  I, too, work at a clinic that sees dogs, and I will tell you, even
if you don't handle the canine distemper-positive dogs yourself, you run
the risk of bringing it home on your clothes or shoes, as the virus can
still be transmitted even if you don't physically touch the animals.

I have had three vaccine reactions with two ferrets, all three being
to the Merial IMRAB3 rabies vaccine; the last reaction for my Nicodemus
was so bad we've decided not to revaccinate him for rabies next year.
(Stupidly, if he was a DOG, which is more susceptible to rabies and more
likely to come into contact with a rabid animal, he'd only need the same
1cc of the stupid vaccine every three years anyway according to my
Massachusetts state laws...).

Anyway, I am far more worried that he will contract the pretty much
100%-fatal-to-ferrets canine distemper disease than rabies, and I
definitely will continue to vaccinate even Nicky for it now that I work
at a clinic that sees dogs.  I have used the Merial Purevax for the last
two years with no ill effects or vaccine reactions, premedicating with
1cc of the 12.5mg/5ml children's Benadryl.  I was lucky enough to never
have a reaction with Fervac D in any of my own 7 that were healthy enough
to get vaccines or with any of my over 5 or so fosters/placement rescues.
But that just means I was lucky-they can have a reaction at any time to
any vaccine (as can any critter-ferrets are just more susceptible).

I would go ahead and try the Merial Purevax if I were you-I started using
it b/c my guys had rabies vax reactions and it seemed, from what research
we could find, that there might be less of a reaction to the Purevax for
distemper.  If you have terrible reactions this time, then consider
discontinuing, but be even more vigilant at work when canine distemper
cases come in-I wouldn't even wear my scrubs home after that if I were
you (or me! ;) ), especially if your guys aren't vaccinated.

However, do be prepared for any vaccine reaction, and stick around for at
least an hour; both of my first two vaccine reactions occurred after an
hour (and were thus less severe-not anaphylactic); the sickest Nic got
was five minutes after the vax, and was pretty rough.

It also helps if you only do one of your ferrets at a time; then, if you
have multiple reactions, you don't have to decide which one you want to
save... (I started doing my guys separately after Nic's bad reaction this
fall.  It's a pain to make five vet appts, but it beats the alternative.
I do two a day with their appts spaced out over a couple of hours.)

Good luck!

-April and the Auburn Five (missing Renate, Sparkle, & Shannon)