From:
valerie wahoski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:58:40 -0800
Jellogirly wrote:
      --------------------------------
>Subject: ferret food and ingredients reply
>
>bye products are the nasty ingridients that arent even suitable for
>human consumption.  do NOT feed them to your ferrets!  EEW GROSS!!
>im talking brains and guts and sometimes even thier poop!  YUK!
>
>jellogirly
       --------------------------------

I believe there are two sides to this story...first, ferrets aren't
humans...we are omnivores, ferrets are carnivores...Correct me if I'm
wrong, but the ferret's wild cousins, the pole cats eat live prey...this
includes brains, guts, and even their poop...and they thrive on this
diet... I personally see no reason why these items should be excluded
from a ferrets diet.  I know a few people that feed their ferrets mice,
or live/dead "creatures" on a regular basis...so how are these brains,
guts, and poop affecting them?...they're not...the Ferret's digestive
system is made to process these types of parts, including bones too!

Now I believe what jellogirly is trying to say is that EXCESSIVE by
products as the first main ingredients in a "ferret food" (instead of
real meat) should be avoided...the first few main ingredients should be
whole meat, like chicken, liver, beef, etc...Personally when looking for
ferret food, if more than 3 veggies show up, like corn, wheat, soy, or
other veggies... or more than one by product is listed in the first 5
ingredients, I'll pass it up...I think there was a good discussion a
while back with Bob C, and ferret diets, check it out on the archives.

-Valerie

=====
~*~*~ VALERIE ~*~*~
       (  / \" /
        \(_  \(_
~*`~*`FERRETS RULE~`*~`*
Missing Noodles + Rosie at the Rainbow Bridge