From:
Rhea Fulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:00:20 EST
About 3 weeks ago I posted concerning Elvira, my 4-5 year old ferret,
whom the vet has diagnosed with probable liver cancer, based on physical
examination and ultrasound.  My vet said that her prognosis was poor,
so we opted to not do surgery.  At that post Dr. Williams responded and
asked if a biopsy had been done, which my vet did not really mention
pursuing, due to the size and number of "tumors" on the liver and
surrounding area.  She also has enlarged nodes on her neck and has had
them about 13 months.  Another vet at that time did not believe they were
lymphoma, so they were not biopsied then either.  I have called my vet's
office two times to discuss doing a biopsy, but he does not return my
calls.  I'm not sure if he's not getting the message, or what.

At any rate, this morning I have noticed that Elvira has begun to have
very, very pale stools, almost white, which I know in humans is an
indication of severe liver problems.  She still has a good appetite, but
continues to lose weight, and I've noticed that she seems to be getting
weaker.  Can someone please tell me what I can expect at this point?

Thanks,
Rhea & the Crew of 5......Rascal, Oliver, Elvira, Chessie & Tubby