From:
"Tara C. Radford" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:42:20 -0800
One day last week Dr Bruce Williams and myself were discussing the new
mystery disease that seems to be hitting a percentage of kits under a
year old.

Before you read on,i want you to know it took me two weeks to write what
was requested of me,this post.I would do anything Dr Williams asks of me
but this was very hard.The more i thought about it the more i realized
how right he was.  You must also remember these are kits,averaging about
6 months old or younger.Not older ferrets.

Our Groups first documented case of the coined "Mystery Disease" was
almost a year ago.We alone have had 6 and Drs Williams and
Burgess/Ramsdell about the same,maybe a few more.All but one kit has
died and Thunderfoot at last check was barely hanging on...these are the
ferrets we know about.I shudder to think just how many are/were never
reported.

The symptoms are sudden onset of spiked very high fever that seems to go
up and down,lethargy,dehydration,anorexia and hind leg weakness.It hits
very fast.Kits who should be playing are just lying there,high fever and
suddenly unable to even walk.It's heartbreaking.They suffer.

The problem as to finding what is causing this is antibiotics..naturally
as a parent we run our babies to the Vet and the Vet puts the kit on
meds.Once meds are administered there is no way to find out what is
causing this.Remember all but one,possibly two have died a very painful
death.The two alive went thru a very painful time.

Dr Williams is asking something that bothers him as much as it does me
typing this and you reading it..

Someone,Shelter or owner must have their ferret with this disease
euthanised before it is treated.It is the only way they can fully
necropsy and find the cause.This disease is killing all that contact
it so remember the chance of any kit not suffering and dying a painful
death is close to zero.

You WILL know.This unfolds the way i reported.The kit will be 6 months or
younger.Act normal one day and be hit hard and almost immediately have a
high fever and hind leg weakness.If you have any certainties or doubts as
to your kits sudden like illness please immediately mail Dr Bruce
Williams at [log in to unmask]

My Prayers go out to all Moms & Dads who have tragically lost a ferret
kit to this Mystery Illness.I just hope someone is willing to step
forward with a new case,yet untreated and contact Dr Williams.He will
have further information.

This may be the hardest thing you have ever done but this disease is
painfully fatal and we need to find out what it is, so a cure can be
found.Your baby may save the lives of countless more.I cry with you the
same way i have cried with the parents who have watched their babies
suffer and eventually die in terrible pain.

God Bless,deep sadness
Tara

Join our Ferret Group!! Club Med Ferrets
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clubmedferrets
NEW! Go shopping with CMF, proceeds go to Shelters!
http://www.geocities.com/clubmedferrets