Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:58:25 -0500
Dear Mr. Stiller; Miss Aniston and Mr. Stevens:

It is sad that the people that have the most power to change things in a
positive way seem to always cause harm.  Intentionally or not you and
Jennifer Aniston have taken the years of hard work that myself and many
others have spent educating and teaching the general public about
"domesticated ferrets" in the positive light, and in one showing trashed
it and reinforced the unpopular thoughts and beliefs of the uneducated.

I wonder how many people would find it funny if someone had either of
you on a leash and ran you into a trash can and wall.  I understand Mr.
Stiller you have a dog, how often do you do that to your dog?  Or was
stating you have a dog just a peace keeping statement for the pet owners
out there listening to your interview and apology?

I do not understand the thinking of the producers, actors and actresses
that continually abuse, flame and use misguided information on your
shows.  Ferrets do not make sounds like that and they are certainly more
intelligent than what you humans portrayed them as being in your show.  I
would also add that any producer, who hires an animal on for such work in
a film, should have a trainer with better knowledge of the tolerances
during the filming.  The combination of a busy warm set and the limited
ability of the species to be handled for extensive periods of time in a
chaotic environment can be attributed to the unfortunate event both of
you are now playing upon for press.

This type of inconsiderate use of animals on the set - obvious from the
reported outcome - is what PETA works hard to discourage.

As for your apology, you did more harm than good and then you expect the
ferret community to forgive you for telling a joke.  I for one, feel you
do not, did not and probably will not ever like ferrets (it takes time to
learn about them).  Telling us that you were joking is not going to mend
my feelings toward you or any of the people that took part in persecuting
this ferret for nipping you.  Any one that has any pet sense knows you do
not put a strange animal up to your face, especially one that has very
poor eye sight.  But did either of you research ferrets before you
started working with them?  Did you know that ferrets have poor eye
sight?  It is very obvious to me, in your commercials that neither one
of you care for the animal you were working with, why on earth would
you do so?

I am going to do everything in my power to keep the ferret community
informed on your inability to learn about an animal you and your
co-workers are going to spend hours with at work and then expect that
the ferret will understand you as a human.

Sincerely,
Brenda Johnson
Director, Lakeroad Ferret Farm
Rescue & Shelter