From:
Rhea Fulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:05:05 EST
I have a 4 year old female ferret with possible lymphoma for which I
need current treatment info.  The reason I say "possible" is because in
January 2003 we noticed that she had swollen nodes on her neck and took
her to the vet.  She had no other symptoms.  Our vet said that he did not
think she had lymphoma and that she did not need to be checked unless
they became larger or she developed symptoms.  She did not have any more
problems until this past November, when we took her in to a new vet that
we started using.  She had an upper respiratory infection, and he treated
her with Amoxicillin, to which she responded well.  We told him about the
swollen nodes from January, and he agreed with the previous vet, saying
that he did not suspect lymphoma either because it had been so long with
no apparent increase in size and her otherwise good health, excluding
the current respiratory infection.  This past week we noticed that the
nodes in her neck are much larger, but still she has a good appetite and
energy.  I have noticed that sometimes while eating she will stop and
repeatedly lick her left, front leg.  I think maybe that the swollen
nodes are interfering with her eating/swallowing.

I would like to know what current treatment options are for lymphoma in
the event this is the diagnosis.  (I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow.)
The first vet told us that he prefers to not treat with chemo because it
makes for a very sick ferret, and that their lives are not significantly
lengthened, not to mentiont the cost.  However, I've read info that
doesn't agree with that at Ferret Central, but those articles were
dated back in the mid-90's.  Can some knowledgeable vet please advise?

Thanks,
Rhea & the Crew of 5:  Rascal, Oliver, Elvira (the ferret in question),
Chessie & Tubby