From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:56:03 -0500
While being tied to a cold building in the midst ofg a nor east freeze is
not the most exciting point of my life- we are getting by okay.  The heat
is cranked as the shelter floor is not insulated and the chill fills the
room-- meanwhile we are venting heat out the kitchewn woindow so our pets
ferrets don't succomb to overheating!  LOL I could almost cry when I
think of thre oil that is racing through the boiler- lets all pray the
cold decreases SOON!

One good point to all the hysteria here though wheel-less at Ferret Wise
is the call I received form a BRAND NEW ferret owner at 10 AM.  Seems she
purchased an 8 week old kit at Petco last night, she has three young sons
8,9 and 12 ( if I recall) this Am she was bit unmercifully by this female
ferret while she was holding it.  In my conversation with the new ferret
owner I tried to explain about the many changes the little ferret had
gone through the past week or so- neuter, shots, being separated at too
young an age , shipped for point to point to being placed in a tank with
strangers peering in etc., and gave my best tips for a training program
and handling technique.

We conversed for a good 30 mins.  meanwhile I reassured her there was no
inherent rabies in the animal and that vaccination is recommended at a
specific age - to protect owners first most from suits and sacrificing
the pet for rabies testing - by questioning peers in bite instances.

At the end of the chat when I reassured her she may call back at any time
if she needed help- she stated she was calling form Portland, OR area...
I have to thank Ferrets Magazine & the Petco lists for making our contact
info accessible.  It has helped assure his little ferret a chance at
staying in a home & family rather than being returned and labeled as a
biter- or worse... So all in all being unable to travel and housebound
in the frigid cold has some positive results for s today!

We have new sleepers listed on ebay for our Van restoration fund
raiser... and we are doing our best to provide the kids with a warm
living & playing area-- A SPECIAL THANKS to those who sent lots of warm
cuddly sleepers over the holidays -- they surely are getting used well
this week here at the shelter and at the hospice house where they are
struggling to keep the temp at 62 degrees!!

Fondly ,
From the folks & ferrets at Ferret Wise
www.ferretwise.org