Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:39:58 -0700
From:
suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Original post:
>I have a six month old male sable and just the past few days he has
>developed a really bad habit and i was wondering if I could get some
>imput into it.  He started licking my arm like crazy and then he begins
>biting the spot so at first I don't even realize he is biting me but
>then it hurts.  He has never bitten before and does not bite my fingers
>when placed in his face, it is only when he goes into a licking fury on
>my arm.  He has been biting his toys a little more and anything on my
>desk that he can get his hands on.  I was just wondering if maybe there
>is some devleopmental or age thing going on or if its something else...
>
>Kelly

Hello,
I have ferrets who do the "lick lick chomp" thing too.  I'm not sure why.
I think some ferrets just like to do it and some ferrets just never do.
I wish I knew why.

I do have some opinions why they do it though.  Maybe they are wanting to
tell us something, my one does it when I have given another ferret a time
out in the cage.  I think she is not happy and wants me to let her friend
out.  She also will dig at the cage and climb it when someone is in time
out.  Maybe it is affection, like a love bite from a cat is.  Maybe it is
a dominant behavior thing, like when they scruff and drag another ferret
during play.  Maybe we just taste good!

If anyone has any insights into this behavior please share!

suzi

P.S bitter apple might help.  I just watch mine when they start to lick
and lick because I know what is coming.  The if they try to bite, I
scruff and say firmly, "NO BITE"  It has helped a few of mine break the
habit.  But 2 of mine still do it, but not as much.

Try to break the habit early, my 2 were adoptions and I think if they get
used to doing it, it can be hard to stop.