Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 12:09:28 -0500
From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
I read Mike's account of the ferrets that went into surgery after
switching from the depot to the 24 hour lupron.  Thank you Mike for
posting more info on the situation.  We had a similar experience with the
4 month depot.

When I purchased the 4 mo depot for our group of 4 and it didn't work
for them, a month later they were in surgery which resulted in one death.
At the time I was understandably upset and Larry contacted Professional
Arts.  He was told they had no record of any other ferrets not responding
to the depot form.  That was the last time I ordered the depot form.
I've been using the 24 hour lupron, given once a month for ferrets that
aren't surgical candidates in our group.

It's extremely important to report negative or lack of results of any
drug to the manufacturer and vets.

The 24 hour lupron has been available since 1999 and Larry has treated
hundreds of ferrets with it.  I've visited with him about making it clear
that it is the 24 hour lupron so hopefully that will be helpful when it
is ordered.

My understanding is:
1. Once the depot form is mixed it has to be used immediately or be kept
frozen in liquid nitrogen.  Any lupron that is received pre-mixed would
indicate to me it isn't the depot form.  Please keep this in mind.

2. Lupron works for only so long, then it quits working so even though
it can be helpful at the time, alternatives should be discussed for
future treatment.

I'm researching data on lupron and found interesting bits of information.
I've not got the studies here with me so I don't want to quote without
the references at hand but stay tuned for forth coming information.  I've
got about 500 pages of data to read through and pull references from so
hopefully we'll all be more informed after I get through this.  If anyone
has references that would be helpful please email them to me.

Some of the articles only mention lupron (not depot) so some time is
spent contacting the authors to find out which form of lupron was used.
And I'm trying to work this in during a very busy 'work' season.

hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services
http://www.ferretfamilyservices.org