From:
Heather Giuliano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:55:35 EST
Hi everyone!  I've been a subscriber to the FML since November, and
purchased my first fuzzy soon after.  She's a great little girl, with
no problems whatsoever with nipping or litter box training.  I didn't
realize how lucky I was though until I bought my most recent addition
on December 5th.

I would have liked to get a fuzzy from a shelter, but I couldn't find one
in my area.  After searching endlessly for the place where I bought my
first fuzzy Arwen, I stopped at another pet shop to ask for directions.
No one there knew of the pet shop, but to my surprise, they had fuzzies
for sale.  They were available at a discount price because they were
about 4 months old.  I immediately picked up the male and he smothered
me with kisses.  I was hooked, and I named him Gizmo.  He gets along with
Arwen great, they play and cuddle and cause all sorts of trouble
together.  They have a room all the themselves, and when I go in to check
up on them, and they exhaust me with playtime, Arwen wants to climb over
me and explore me.  And that's when Gizmo bites.  Hard.  I'll be petting
Arwen, and I'll reach over to pet Gizmo, he lets me for a while, then
he'll bite the most sensitive parts of my arm (the wrist area and my
bicep area).  The marks get red and puffy and stay there for hours.  He
even draws blood on my boyfriend.  I've tried scruffing and yelling
(which he thinks is a game and as soon as I set him back down he dooks
and tries to bite me again), Bitter Apple, and everything I can think of.
I think maybe he bites because he wants to play, but he bites too hard
for me to play with him the way he wants, tickling him and everything.

I was thinking it could be because he was in the pet shop for so long and
hasn't been given enough attention, or been disciplined properly.  Both
fuzzies have a vet appointment later this month for checkups and whatnot,
so that will rule out (hopefully) and physical problems.

If anyone can give me and help or suggestions they would be greatly
appreciated.  By the way, for the number of ferrets that own me... 1 male
and 1 female ferret in upstate NY.  Sorry this is so lengthy!

Heather