Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 05:55:39 -0700
From a previous post:
>My nephew wasin the other room squeaking one of the louder dog toys when
>he appeared in my bedroom minutes later with the most solemn look on his
>face andtiny puncture marks in his cheek.  I asked him, "Zach honey,
>what'swrong," With his feelings hurt more than the wound on his cheek he
>sobbed, "Dustbuster bit me." Upon hearing this squeak toy, Dusty tore
>across the room on to the chair and latched on to Zach's face.

I'm really sorry, but this is hilarious.  When I read this I was
picturing a ferret flying across the room (literally flying, mind you,
lol), hopping up onto the chair in a single bound, and with big cartoon
teeth latching onto poor Zach's face with a big Batmanesque CHOMP!

No offense meant.  I know ferret bites hurt.  My granddaughter stuck her
tongue out at my albino Puffy while she was eating, Big mistake.  Tongues
bleed alot for awhile.  She needed stitches.  I know.  I have a strange
sense of humor because that was kinda funny too.  That's probably because
I only heard about it and wasn't present to hear the screaming and the
crying.  Anyways, she doesn't stick her tongue out at Puffy anymore.
Ferret lesson #1 well learned.

All this being said and done, I know that "technically" this description
of a "killing frenzy" is somewhat accurate.  My take on the sqeak toy is
that the ferret hears the "squeaking" of a ferret in distress and comes
to that ferret's aid.  It's self preservation.  A business would want to
fend off attacking predators for the benefit of all.  Lots of times I see
behaviours that can be interpreted better if you imagine the ferret in
the wild.  Why do they like rustling paper/plastic?  Maybe it sounds like
leaves in a forest.  Why do they sleep hidden and in the dark?  Again,
self-preservation.  And there are many more examples of this if you think
about it.  You can take the weasel out of the woods, but you can't take
the woods out of the weasel.

Anyways, the words "ferret" and "killing frenzy" together just tickle my
funny bone.  I don't know who originated this phrase but I want to thank
them.  I ain't had alot to laugh about lately, so you'll all have to
forgive me, lol.

Roary & Yvonne
Albuquerque, NM