From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:41:53 -0400
Bob Church?  Anyone?

There was an article in today's Philadelphia Inquirer about animals that
can see colors beyond violet.  It said that many animals have two cones
in their eyes for seeing colors and don't see colors very well.  Most
people (who aren't color blind) and some animals have three cones and can
see the spectrum from red through violet.  However, they are discovering
that some creatures, including some mammals, have four cones and can see
beyond violet.  Where we see a yellow buttercup, they would see a varied
pattern of color.  Some birds have patterns of colors we can't see that
make them more attractive for mating.

I know that ferrets don't have exceptional eyesight, but since some bats
can see UV light, I wondered if ferrets can too.

Did anyone read The Island Stallion Races by Walter Farley when they
were a horse-crazy kid?  The part I have always remembered was when the
young man gets on the space ship and sees colors beyond infrared and
ultraviolet that he never imagined existed.... I've always wished I
could see them, too...