From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 19:37:48 EST
It's been called to my attention that a celebrity ferret has passed away
during the holidays.  It is only fitting that Ashling Crandall passed
during such a wonderful time ... bringing in the new year for all ...
not out with a bang, but with dignity and grace.  I've read all about
her life, her fun antics, and her beguiling intelligence with curiosity
on the FML since I have been a member.  I loved reading the stories her
mother, Sukie, has posted on the FML as she spoke in her voice and
projected her personality so that we all could know her.  The playful
posts brought many of us joy.  If you've never seen photos of Ashling,
you must take a good look, because she truly was a stunner.  She should
have been a model.  I mean that.  I think she was even on the original
FML calendar?  She was a true dream ferret.  Whenever I think of Sukie, I
think of Ashling.  How could I not?  I'm really very lucky, because to
"have Ashling back" all I have to do is type her name into FML searches,
dig up emails, and take some peeks at photos.  I"ll always have her in
spirit because where there is Sukie, there is Ashling.

But my friend, Sukie is not so lucky.  Because Ashling was more than a
"character," more than a well known entity.  She was her friend ... her
companion.  So she will be direly missed.  And I"m sorry for that in
itself.  I'm not sorry that Ashling has crossed the bridge because this
little lady led a full life ... and I"m sure she was tired.  I"m grateful
that, although it was a tough road for them both, Sukie and she had such
a great time of it all over the years.  Sukie, thank you for sharing not
just the easy times, but the hard times.  Undoubtedly you helped many
people who have been confronted with like illnesses in their ferrets by
discussing them.  I will always remember Ashling as a little trooper,
full of life, and an inspiration to many.  The biggest thing I"ll take
away from all of this, is when Sukie made me understand that one should
not give up nor throw away life just because of the obstacle of pain.
Pain can be dealt with in all sorts of ways, and souls can still have
good quality lives through it.  Yah, that was a big lesson for me.
Thanks to you both, and I give you a salute.

Wolfy and The Great Ferret Oracle