From:
suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 07:08:34 -0800
Hello,

Looks like we have the flu here, I am very worried, to the best of my
knowledge we (the ferrets) have never had it before.  I am a nurse and
have seen so much of the flu for the last 3 months and have been very
lucky, but.....

We are going to the vet in the morning.

I came down sick 4 days ago and was trying to be very careful with
handwashing, limiting contact, gloves, mask and keeping them in cage.
But to no avail.  Since I am the only caregiver I had no choice but to
be in contact with the ferrets.  So, I feel very gulity about making my
babies sick.

Questions:
3 of the ferrets seem to have it (tons of sneezing, coughing, runny
noses)  Will that mean all 9 of them will eventually get it?

How long does it last?

What can of treatment can the vet do?  Possibly antibiotics for sinus
infections?  Fluids?

What can I do to help them?

Any treatments out there for ferrets?  supplements?  I thought I had
heard of something like an oil that was similar to a Vicks, to help
breathing???

Ferts appear to still be active, eating, pooping.  Though right at first
they were more sleepy.  It is day 2.

I gave liquid Benadryl Childrens med one dose in the begginning of
symptoms.

I hate seeing them sick, I would rather be sicker and take away all the
suffering if I could.  It is so frustrating and depressing to see them
not feeling well.

If anyone has any experience or ideas, I would really appreicate the
help.

Thank you,
suzi
P.S sorry this is so long and I did cross post