From:
Melissa Rotert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:45:36 -0700
I know this is off topic, and I know it is a touchy subject for a lot of
people, but you guys are so darn good at making a person feel better...

Despite my political views on the war in Iraq, I keep my personal
feelings about the soldiers fighting it separate.  One of those soldiers
was my husband's best friend, Chris Swisher.  They went to high school
together, and along with another friend, Dameyan, were practically
inseparable.  Dameyan's mother considers all three of them her sons,
my daughter is her grandchild, blood relation or not.

On October 9, 2003, Chris was one of the two soldiers killed in what the
Army is calling an ambush.  My husband is "more angry than sad right
now." I know the sadness will hit him sooner or later, and probably
sooner.  My daughter's "grammy" is devastated.

I want you to know, if it weren't for knowing Chris, I might have my
doubts about how truthful the government was being in this case,
considering the other side of things.  But Chris was in a position of
authority on that patrol.  And I know how he was killed.  More details
than I care to.  And I know how his personal views of things stood.  I
have no doubts.

I know we aren't the first home to lose someone close to us in this war.
Probably not even the first on this list.  But I would like to ask that
you all keep my husband in your thoughts.  And Chris's family.  Thank you
for listening.

Melissa Rotert
Mira, Samurai and O'Dell
Missing Cael, Booboo, Tasha, Robin and Nietzsche