From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:51:28 -0400
Are you sure that what is being seen in the Netherlands is ECE?  Other
intestinal illnesses can cause those symptoms.

The only test is hard to do.  It may be, though, that pathologists
involved in studying it may be interested in seeing if there has been
a spread to Europe so I passed on your contact info and questions.

Be very careful about hydration.  ECE in the U.S. led to many people
being taught how to do sub-cutaneous hydration.  In some individuals
IV may be needed to prevent kidney damage from dehydration.

This will definitely be of use to you:
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/ECE/ECE.html
and this is very useful dietary approach for ECE (If your area does not
have meat baby foods you will need to puree your own; I know in some
parts of the world the baby foods tend to be stews whereas here they are
smaller bottles of discrete items.):
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/babyfood.html

Also, read in the usual Archives: FML (URL in the header of every
day's FML) and FHL:  http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org

Yes, the specific coronavirus has been found and has been confirmed as of
a few years ago.

Treat secondary problems as they develop.  Know that it can be difficult
to know if a ferret has a secondary bacterial infection or secondary
colitis and that the two need different approaches so secondary problems
take some fooling around with to tackle effectively.
---

Suzanna, good post on anesthesia you had in the Wednesday FML!
---

Beautifully said, Chana!
---

Mark wrote:
>the majority of ferret owners do not vacinate nor do they visit the vet
>unless they notice something unusual

Sorry, Mark, but my experiences and contacts tell me exactly the
OPPOSITE!  Are there people who neglect to provide veterinary care?  Yes.
Are they in the majority?  If so, that sure is different than what I've
encountered.  In the past it was not uncommon, but today medical neglect
by those with ferrets seems to be much rarer.  I guess it is matter of
view point.  I suspect that those who run shelters, for instance, may
encounter more cases of medical neglect.  It sure is terrible when such
ferrets die due to such an easily surmounted obstacle as providing the
care which is needed for a decent life.  That happened to one a relative
had; they didn't provide care and she died young of a completely
preventable problem.  Yes, I DID think about reporting them for animal
abuse, but sadly their state lacks decent laws in that regard -- which I
guess is somewhat lucky for family harmony but the idea of a little 2
year old dying of a preventable problem because she was deprived of
veterinary care is terribly upsetting and I cringe whenever that family
adds any pets of any type due to such abuse.  Rationalizations to not
provide vet care just make no sense to me; I see no love in those.
---

Hey, what the heck happened in today's FML?  So much of it was so loving
(even the sad parts) but the section I am going through right now sure
has some posts that read as bitter, bullying, and mean spirited when
points could instead be discussed constructively --- which would actually
get somewhere.  I am skipping a lot of text right now... It's sad.
---

>[Moderator's note: I'm pretty convinced that neither of you will ever
>be able to post on the FML without automatically involving the other.
>Any post from either of you which mentions the other will be ignored,
>with no notification.  BIG]

As a reader I just want to say to Bill (BIG): THANK YOU!  Yes, it
deserves shouting.  I saw your note and I found that I gave a grateful
sigh and smiled ear to ear with an appreciative grin for you sparing us!
---

Rita, I am sorry about your little one.  It sounded like there were some
hidden surprises when necropsy was done.  That does happen now or then.
We've all been there at times.  Ferret medicine is so much better than
it was 20 or even 10 years ago, but it is far from perfect.  There is so
much for the medical experts to study and the rest of us to then learn.