From:
Rita Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 01:11:36 EDT
I would first like to thank all who contacted me with kind words to sooth
my sad soul over the loss of my 5 1/2 year old Vada.  The anesthesia used
was Isoflurane and preliminary results from her Necropsy showed liver
failure and a mass on her spleen.  To know more than that I have to wait
for the histopaths(sp) to come back.

I made the decision after losing several ferrets this year that from that
point on I would do Necropsies on any of my ferrets who die.  I request
if anything really odd or bizarre or unknown is found for biopsies to be
sent out.  My vet charges $42.00 for a basic necropsy and $50.00 for
biopsies.  Money is very tight but as long as I can charge another dollar
on my credit card I will try to save them or find out if I can do
something different the next time.  My having necropsies done on my
ferrets is my own personal thing.  I can see if you are presented with
the choice of "do I spend X amount of money on this my dead ferret (for
a necropsy)or spend the same amount on food or vaccines for my living
ferrets" then I can understand the dilemma.  This does not apply to those
who arent even giving their ferrets basic care.  An attempt was made to
get blood from Vada without gassing her but she was squirming so much
they decided to wait until Friday while she was under having her dental
work.

How sad that so many of us are losing our babies every day.

Rita Brannan