From:
"Eddie L. Malone" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:19:43 -0500
>Today please keep our ferret "RA" in your prayers we are taking him to
>Auburn University for further testing he is suffering from weak heart.
>We are getting an ECHO and Ultrasound all his blood work is normal but
>he is weak and has spells where he passes out for a second or so.
>Auburn is one of the Nation's leading teaching hospitals for
>Veterinary training so he will be in good hands!

UPDATE:

Well our fears were confirmed RA has dilated cardiomyopathy and was given
meds which are Enalapril 0.lml orally once a day and Furosenide 0.18ml
twice a day.  We gave him his first dose last night and we thought we had
killed him he went limp lost control of bodily fluids and functions for
almost 2 minutes.  He then revived and seems to be okay this morning just
real tired.  I gave him the second dose of Furosenide this AM with no ill
effects.  Our normal Vet is off on Fridays and I have called the
University Clinic but have not heard back from them.  I am scared to not
treat him but then I don't want him to go out again like last night.  If
you have any ideas or anything let us know!

On another note the Exotic's Expert first thought our Ferret had
HeartWorms!!!!!!!!  I had never heard of heartworms in ferrets in dogs
yes and of late cats but Ferrets!!  She said no prevention has been
approved yet but they use a reduced treatment they would give a cat
after the ECho and Xrays they ruled out heartworms so they did not test
for them does anyone treat Ferrets for heart worms and if so how??

Thanks for your time!
ED