From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:05:41 -0400
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 10/22/2003, 3:39 AM:
>What I can't stand to see here is so much disagreement when it comes
>to shelters/rescues.  The bottom line is helping ferrets.

I totally agree that the bottom line is helping the ferrets.  However, if
a shelter has too many ferrets and can't afford the necessary care for
them, are those ferrets being helped?  If there are so many ferrets that
they can only get out to play for a short time each day, or only once
every few days, is this in their best interest?

While it is a hard thing to do, I think every shelter has to set limits,
and not go above that limit.  When there are too many ferrets in one
shelter, the ferrets are not properly cared for, and the shelter
operators are pushed to their own physical and mental limits.  When
one shelter has too many ferrets in their care, it is time for them to
consider asking other shelters if they can help share the burden.

At the Symposium, Alicia and others spoke about the importance of
Shelters networking and working together, not competing with each other.
Sharing the burden and sharing resources is a part of this.

There is no reason 2 people should be trying to care for 82 ferrets.
And, there is no way that 2 people with 82 ferrets should be taking
on any more.  I am not aware of all of the facts and circumstances
surrounding this situation, so I will not try to comment on the
particulars.  However, it sounds like it is time for Cheryl and
Steve to start referring people to other shelters in their area.

Just my opinion.

--
Danee
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!