From:
Cheryl & Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:48:04 -0400
>From: "Anonymous Poster" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>... The inevitable is apparent, you will be NJ next huge rescue, you
>have said yourself recently, you are on the verge of closing you doors,
>Shut the doors to drops offs, don't go pick up rescues and put a sign
>up that you are closed to surrenders.
>
>...Sit down and correspond with the people of SOS, get this ball rolling
>before its to late, stop going after the others you dislike or that
>aren't able to help, let the ones who can and are able to....

We usually don't respond to an anonymous poster plus my writing skills
leave much to be desired but to answer your questions.

We have seen the results of people that are turned away from a shelter
or put on a "waiting list" which include but not limited to letting the
ferret free which is generally a death sentence for the ferret.  Then we
go to euthanasia which costs about $20 per animal or less if they can get
to gas more at the same time or they give him away to people that make
poor pet owners who don't take their pets to a vet and generally mistreat
them.  These poor animals that are being overbreeded in the first place
and sold to the public with little education on keeping ferrets and I
refuse to allow even one ferret to lose their life because I decided to
put him on a waiting list or refused a ferret because they didn't have a
drop off fee or fail to drive 200 miles one way and pick up ferrets
because the person doesn't have a car or means of transportation.

An example, we drove to Union, NJ to rescue a ferret that was mauled by a
dog, the person that found the ferret called and emailed all the ferret
shelters in the area and 24 hours later we were the only shelter to
respond and because he refused to surrender him to a kill shelter and no
other facility would help so we picked him up and our vet diagnosed him
to have a broken back and pelvis along with internal injuries.  We spent
$2,300 on the little guy and now he is running around and playing should
I have put him on a waiting list or put him down?

Instead of criticizing rescues why don't you go to the heart of the
matter and try to limit the production of these animals by these large
ferret mills or go to the pet stores like we do and spend time with the
animal care givers at the store to educate them in handling ferrets and
how to cage and handle them properly.

To answer your statement on the SOS, I have accepted the very kind and
considerate offer that SOS has made and am really looking forward to it.
The SOS has been very kind to us and we really appreciate all the help we
have received from them and also I would like to thanks Kym Barone
director of the Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association who has been
unbelievably helpful and Christine who provided homes for 11 of my little
guys.  If you would send us or our vet some money we would not be so
financially strapped and be able to help even more or volunteer at your
nearest shelter.

My vet in case you wish to contribute is;
Mike Weiss, DVM
352 Greentree Road
Sewell, NJ  08080

We know you mean well but unless you walked the walk don't be critical of
other peoples efforts unless you have a solution.

Cheryl, Steve and the our business of freaking ferrets at
www.sjferret.com or our business at www.tamart.com