From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:24:55 -0400
Hello readers all-

I may be in the dark here-- but I am getting some really mixed signals in
the posts concerning first 56 ferrets now 100 that Jennifer has needing
rescue in FL.

IF this quote is correct:.... ."On our end, we could handle 3 - 4 at this
time.  We can also house ferrets overnight if needed to act as a 1/2
point on any transport.  All potential adopters need to keep in mind that
Marie is not a shelter.  She has no volunteers or helpers and is also
going to school full time.  Thus most of these ferrets will need baths,
nail clippings etc. once received by homes/shelters."

Marie is an angel for offering to funnel the ferrets out BUT ----

THIS IS A GENUINE HOARDING SITUATION which NEEDS to be reported to the
HUMANE AUTHORITIES POSTE HASTE.... Allowing this person who has no time
nor resources to care for this number of amassed animals SERVES NO useful
PURPOSE!!

How can she adopt an animal to ANYONE and charge a fee UNLESS she IS a
shelter????  UNLESS she is a registered profit / not for profit business.
Folks this is a crime unto itself in any state!  The ferret community
needs to accept the responsibility of policing its own-- and THIS OWN in
MY OPINION needs to be reported to state and locale humane authorities!

Now please tell me this person is not DUMPING these on an already
stressed rescue community under the GUISE of going into wildlife
rescue????  IF this were truly the reason for her DUMPING NUMBERS OF
FERRETS in GOODNESS ONLY KNOWS what condition-- then I would NOT call
this a rescue person.  This person has some serious problems that
changing rescue species is not going to change.  Shame on you who are
picking away at the problem by taking 2 or 3 at a time - CALL THE
AUTHORITIES you need a MASS RESCUE NOW!  Charges should be filed..
please stop the sickness, and end the hoarding which does no good to
the ferrets.

ANd to the college student - self appointed rescuer-- SHAME on you!  To
amass a number of animals with hints of neglect etc., and then say you
are going into wildlife rehab????-- what licensing agent would EVER allow
this!

It is a good thing you are in FL and not in NH or I can surmise you would
be facing cruelty neglect charges!  That means NO ANIMALS for ever after
in the state!

Alicia Drakiotes
a rescue volunteer, educator and advocator for animal welfare!