Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:13:42 -0400
Hello Joanne-
you wrote:
>>Marie is an angel for offering to funnel the ferrets out BUT ----

>No buts ... I met Marie a few years ago, when the Florida ferret
>community was working to get the "kill and test law" changed ... and
>she is an angel, working tirelessly for the good of ferrets - she and
>her hubby and her kids specialized in loving and rehabilitating bad
>biters ... they taught me a lot. And they got the law changed. She
>has my utmost respect.

>Talk is cheap - so let's everyone stop this incessant natter and get
>behind these rescuers - this is a time for action and support, not
>arm-chair generals. These are experienced, dedicated people who know
>what they are doing.

In the short term maybe this funneling is helpful-- for the good of all
future animals- perhaps NOT!

As an experienced shelter within a state humane federation I can tell you
this type of putting the finger in the dike operation will not do good in
the long run!  It is more than an occassional I got a few too many
ferrets now - under the surface.  and this is what I think you missed -
the point I was making.

This is not an attack against Marie!

What I was trying to illustrate is:
BY TAKING THESE FERRETS 1 or 2 at a time, 3 or 4 at a time... YOU ARE
( anyone is) IN EFFECT PERPETUATING the hoarding and the problem.

This needs to be handled by humane investigation procedures.  Jennifer
needs to not have animals again - of any kind.  Our need to feel like
a rescue hero will do little good in the long run--- it allows the
hoarders, the collectors etc., to continue and abuse & neglect more
animals.

Alicia Drakiotes
a shelter volunteer, and educator