From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 10:44:21 -0500
Q: "What is... let's say a 70% solution to feeding bones?  By that I
    mean, what is something easy enough to do that *anyone* could do it?"

A: I would buy some chicken wings, necks, and backs, drop them in boiling
water for 5-10 minutes, and then allow the parts to drain.  Once drained,
I would place each piece of chicken into an individual sandwich-sized
ziplock bag, and then freeze the entire batch.  Two or three times a
week, I would take a chicken part out, thaw and warm it in the microwave,
chop it into a couple of pieces, and give it to the furbutts.

The only problem is convincing the floor monkeys that real chicken is
good to eat.  If the ferrets are olfactory imprinted, they may turn their
nose up at the offering.  You can try to get the guys hooked on chicken
baby food FIRST, which isn't very hard if you DAILY wipe some in their
mouths.  THEN, you can use a hammer to smash the bones in the chicken
parts, and then chop it up (try cutting it into small pieces with poultry
shears).  Dip small pieces of the chopped chicken into chicken baby food,
and then place it in the ferret's mouth.  It may take some time, but
sooner or later they will catch on that chicken is good food (for some,
probably later).

Q: "...If I rinsed off the hot sauce from the remains of some Buffalo
    Wings would those be OK?"

A: Buffalo wings are generally baked, which is a form of dry cooking.
Dry cooking makes bones harder, increasing the chances of splintering,
which worries many people.  However, the cooking time for wings is much
shorter than for thick chunks of chicken, like breasts, so the increase
in hardness is minimal (if you can chew the bone, so can a ferret).  From
MY experience, ferrets don't usually eat the splintery parts of the bone,
preferring the softer, nutrient-filled bone ends, so the point is fairly
moot, but if it worries you (or your vet), skip them.  I'm not sure the
sauce has to be washed off if your ferrets like the taste; it won't hurt
them any more than it hurts you (Tui LOVES jalapeno-flavored snacks!).