From:
mark hei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 02:54:50 -0400
I know this may be obvious - but my ferrets take terrible tasting meds
well when mixed in with turkey broth / gravy baby food.  It is a pasty
substance which all my ferrets really like.  I prefer Heintz brand due
to its fat/protein ratio, with NO carbohydrates (good for certain
conditions).

If Ghost doesn't like the food/med ratio but likes the food, try a half
or quarter dose of the meds.  One of the things about pain meds, I
believe, is that it sedates them and allows them to heal.  This, I think,
may be worth risking another bite...

Also, remember - if you hold their head from behind (the head and
shoulder area, not the jaw bone) and you put a syringe in from the side
aiming for the roof of their mouth behind their canines, the ferret is
biting the syringe and not your hands, usually... Don't squirt meds in
their throat or they may choke and cause injury.  You can also put the
food/med mixture into a syringe for the same effect.

You can also try rubbing some of the food/med mixture on their gums (with
ferretone, perhaps), which will cause them to lick it off, perhaps shake
some, but ultimately get some in his/her tummy.

A little may be better than nothing and take the edge off his/her pain.

Good luck,
Mark H/Sandy/Cherry/Aileah/Liz/and Simon