From:
Chris Lloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 16:12:07 +0100
>When any of my ferrets have loose stools for more than a few days, I
>give can pumpkin.  It works for me.

I would be far more interested in what caused the loose stools because
treating the symptoms is not really a good idea unless you find the cause
of the problem.  After saying that, are loose stools a good sign of a
problem.

If you feed exactly the same food and a very small amount of treats every
day there should be no loose stools.  But some people like me feed very
different foods during the week.  Monday through Wednesday I fed raw
chicken this week (shop bought whole carcass), Thursday to Saturday raw
ground beef eggs and milk.  Today they will switch to cooked chicken
carcass, when I feed raw liver, heart or kidneys the stools will turn
loose and black.

Yes true diarrhea is dangerous but do we make too much fuss over small
variations in healthy ferret's stools?  Yes I've had hysterics when I've
found bright green or blue bits of plastic in the litter boxes but I've
always spotted a sick ferret long before I've found its stools.

Chris.

The Wessex Ferret Club
www.wessexferretclub.co.uk