From:
"Gustafson, Barb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:33:36 -0700
A couple of our members recently had a very bad experience with a product
called the Ferret Treat Stick.  This product, made by Kaytee, is similar
in appearance to the treat sticks you can buy for birds.

Two of their five ferrets took an interest in the treat and were seen on
several occasions chewing away on it.  Unfortunately several days later
these two ferrets became very sick.  To make a long story short both
ferrets ended up with blockages and required surgery to remove pieces of
carrot from their stomachs.

Upon examining the ingredient list of the product it was discovered that
it contains dehydrated carrots.  You wouldn't know this to look at the
treat as it just looks like a dry kibble.  There were no other sources of
carrot in the members household at the time, nor do the members ever feed
vegetables to their ferrets.  The treat stick was the only source of
carrot that the ferrets had access too.

I do not know all the locations where this product is being sold, in this
particular case it was purchased at a local Petsmart.  Our members have
written both Petsmart and Kaytee asking that the product be pulled from
the shelves.  Both Kaytee and Petsmart have been in contact with the
members and the matter in under review.  At this time we do not know what
the outcome will be or if the product will be removed from the shelves.

Please be very careful when purchasing any product for your ferrets that
contains dehydrated fruit or vegetables.  Even though the pieces may look
small they can swell once they are ingested and could have serious
consequences for your ferret.

Barbara Gustafson
Alberta Ferret Society
President