From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:53:35 -0700
Hi everyone,

I'm bringing back a subject that I first brought up over a year ago...
the reason for that being that the problem hasn't resolved itself!

Two of my three ferrets, Pukka and Sebastian, share a cage and get along
fantastically.  The third, Lola, just cannot seem to achieve any sort of
harmony with either of them.  I posted about this multiple times when it
was a fresh problem, but now it's been over a year since I adopted Pukka
and Sebastian and they and Lola still can't stand each other.  At first
I think it was because Lola's cagemate and best friend Illura had just
passed away and Lola didn't want another ferret near her.  She would
scream (she's also deaf) whenever either one came near her, and it didn't
help that Pukka always did the scruff-and-shake to her, really being
quite a bully.  But now-- this may sound weird-- I think Lola misses
ferrety companionship.  Yesterday Sebastian had gone to sleep in the
bottom of Lola's cage and it was bedtime, so I tucked a sleeping Lola
into her hammock.  Then I thought, they're both sleeping, maybe they
would cuddle with each other if they weren't really aware of it, and
then maybe get over their feud?  I put Sebastian into the hammock with
Lola and--- she started to cuddle him.  She opened her eyes, snuffled at
his fur, and nosed ever so gently at his ear.  Then Sebastian woke up,
realized where he was, and scruffed Lola who started screaming.  Moment
shattered.

My question is, is this a completely hopeless case?  Is it because Lola
didn't like the other two in the beginning that they don't like her now?
The other day she tried to play with Sebastian but he chased her away--
really chased, not play chased.  I guess what's really getting to me
about all this is that Lola finally wants to be friends, and now Pukka
and Sebastian want nothing to do with her.  Help??

Rachel and the feuding ferrets

=====
"Go ahead, call the cops
You don't meet nice girls in coffee shops"

                      -- Tom Waits