From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:17:15 EST
For those of you who have never been to a symposium, I wanted to write
and share with you what it was like when I went to the last one.  If you
are unsure about going, or are thinking about not going and never have
gone.... I am urging you to read on.

When I went, I went alone.  Getting away from regular day to day humdrum
and responsibility was very nice, even though that in itself was quite
a trick.  It was very healing for me.  When I arrived, I saw a ferret
person from the FML!  We had spoken online, and she actually arranged
to meet me at the airport and escort me to the hotel.  You know, seeing
someone I long awaited to meet, and seeing their smile the second I
stepped off the plane told me that this was going to be more than worth
the trip.

When I got there, I settled into the hotel.  I met lots of wonderful
people in addition to those that I wanted to meet off the FML.  There was
a nice dinner party set up at a local shelter.  I was too tired to go,
but just knowing that I was invited, and that dinner etc was taken care
of was a real treat.  I hung out at the hotel.  And that was nice in
itself.  Wow, how nice to not have to make your bed.  How nice not to
wake up to work, to your animal poop, to your kids, etc..  I woke up to
roomates, one someone I knew offline, one that I didn't.  They were
making coffee!  And they were talking ferrets already!  But not like what
we read here online day in and day out.  This was sooooo different.  So
refreshing.  Then we headed down to the big room where the symposium was.

Wow, so many people were there, but it was not crowded.  All wanting to
meet each other.  All wanting to be nice.  All wanting to smile.  All
wanting to talk animals.  Cool beans.  So then I waddled over to get
myself donuts.... oh yeah sugar and javvvvvvvvva!  Wait, but what was
over there?  OMG, tables...vendors.  Ferret items I have never ever seen,
and some I"ve only seen 2-D pictures of online.  Wow, I get to touch them
ALL.  And I get to take some home with me if I want.  How relaxing to
shop, and eat my goodies.  How relaxing to find a spot to sit and look up
at a panel of people that are going to do nothing but entertain me....all
day long.  But then the sugar hit.  Oooo not a good idea to fill up on
that so early in the morning.  So then I go over to get something
healthier and to settle down.  Shew.

Wow, then after I saw some really neat presentations, I got to sit down
at a table and eat a nice lunch.  Served to me!  And meet new people!
This rocked.  I had my camera, and took photos.  I stuffed my face, I
talked.... and I talked.  Did I mention that I talked?  Yah, I dont
think I ever shut up once I arrived.  [I can vouch for that! ;-)  BIG]
There were activities all day.

Then dinner time came.  I went up to my room to rest a bit.  Then I
freshened up.  And I had quiet time.  Others visited each other.  Then I
had to choose between tons of dinner options.  I mean do I got out and
eat on the town?  Do I order pizza in?  Do I got to MickyDee's?  Do I
order in room service?  Do I grab a "date" and decide?  Or do I go with
a group of people to eat somewhere?  Wow.  I opted for the later.  That
was BIG FUN.  Yup.

I tell you I was so tired, I was asleep really early at night.  My
roomates stayed up all night with coffee and talking ferrets.  And then
it all started over the next day.  But it was different kind of day.  And
by the end of the day there were raffles and all sorts of fun things
going on.  There was this one crazy loon.... that showed up..... wearing
this long blue wizard robe.  And she was the "Ferret Oracle".  She
floated around like she owned the joint.  What a nut.  But she was funny.
I think she annoyed a little old lady named Georgia Wood at the SOS table
though.  Oh well.  There are all kinds, ya know?

So here's what it amounts to.  You can take it easy, meandering in and
out of lectures and activities.... shopping, eating, etc, or you can
attend it all.  Or you can attend it all, get more jaaaaavvvvvvvva and go
out on the town at night at Atlanta Underground.  I hear there is this
one joint that actually has jousting.  Anyway, if you can swing it, its
cool to stay throughout Sunday or more...so you can really see the sites.
Someone actually got married on Sunday at the last one. :D

Ya wanna know my best memory?  (Besides coming to the wrong door in the
hotel and two guys coming to the door in their boxers and a towel) My
best memory, was falling asleep each night... hearing two of the nicest
ladies I've ever met, warmly talking about their homelife and ferrets.
I think I must have fallen asleep with a smile on my face each night.

This year, I'm bringing my husband.  He doen'st go online and knows noone
ferrety on or offline except for the Parsons and the Beardons.  I think
it will be neat for him to meet ferrety people.  Everyone from kids to
old ladies, from shelter operators to scientists, and to even just other
"guys" who dig ferrets too.  I made friends that I've kept in touch with
via phone and email since then.  I'm so ready to go back... back "Home"
to where those special friends lay.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/