From:
Kristin McCarthy-Bevia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 23:16:21 -0400
Hi,

I'm writing because I'm seriously considering finding a new home for my
two male ferrets, and I'm wondering if there is anyone on the list in the
Northern VA/DC/MD area who might be able to give them a loving new home.
One is 7 years old and the other is 5; they're both in good health.
They're very close, and if they were to go to a new home would need to go
together.

It really hurts my heart to think of giving them up, but I'm just not
sure I can give them the quality of life they deserve.  We live in a
small two-bedroom apartment -- the second room has been the ferrets' --
but are expecting a baby later this summer.  We've spent the last few
months trying to find another place with more room, but haven't been able
to afford anything we've seen (my husband is out of work right now and I
freelance, so income is tight).  With our current financial situation, I
don't think we could move for quite a while.

The ferrets have a large cage (about 5 feet tall) that they'll have to be
in for a good part of the day if we keep them; they're used to having
free run of their room and several romps a day throughout the rest of the
apartment.  I've been keeping them in the cage, out in the living room,
for the last couple of weeks to start acclimating them to the new setup
before the baby comes, and they seem very unhappy.  I honestly don't know
what would be better for my ferrets.  To keep them but know that they're
probably going to be caged a good part of the time, and I most likely
won't have the time to spend with them that I used to because of the
baby.  Or to find them a new home with experienced ferret lovers who can
give them the love and attention they deserve.

Please don't flame me, or think I'm doing this lightly.  This decision
has been weighing, is still weighing, heavily on me for months now.  I
really want to do what's best for my boys, and although it breaks my
heart to think of giving them up, if they'd be happier in a new home,
I'd want that for them.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, or projecting my emotions onto my ferrets,
and the switch to the cage won't be as hard for them as I think.  Maybe
it would be ten million times worse for them to adjust to a new family,
however wonderful that new family is.  All I know is right now they sure
seem sad about losing their old room and being in the cage.

If there are other people on the list -- I tried searching the archives,
but I must not be very good at it -- who've been in a similar situation,
I'd really appreciate hearing from you off-list.  Also, if there is
anyone out there who would be interested in giving them a new home if
it comes to that, I'd really appreciate hearing from you, too.

Thanks.  Sorry this posting is so long and rambling.  It's just I have a
lot on my mind, but at least it feels good to get it out somehow.

Kristin