From:
Mike Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 08:48:58 -0400
>From:    Tracy Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ADRENAL ?
>
>a great deal.  She has given me the dangers of the location r/t the
>vena cava esp if the adreanl has adhered to.  She had gotten some
>info on Lupron from a Dr at UT and apparently we could get a
>vial and I could get possibly 16 doses (refrigeration after
>reconstiting).

Surgery is the best option, of course, but if you decide to go the Lupron
route you need to know about the storage aspect.  Once Lupron has been
reconstituted, it requires storage in liquid nitrogen to remain effective
long term.  Some vets have found that it's OK to store in a standard
freezer (not the 'fridge) for a month or so.  However, if you're buying
enough to last for 16 doses, I'd hate to see you find out a couple months
down the road that the remaining Lupron is no good.  That's a lot of
money down the drain.

A better option is to have your vet call Professional Arts Pharmacy
(1-800-832-9285).  They sell a single, ferret sized dose of 4-month
Lupron.  As the name suggests, Sadie will need one injection of this
every four months, though some have successfully stretched it out to 5
or 6 months.  They sell this in two variations: a 1 mg dose or a 2 mg
dose.  In my experience, the 1 mg dose, at around 100 dollars (plus
whatever your vet adds to the cost), is enough to cause a relief of
symptoms in most ferrets.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-385-6750
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
*