From:
"M. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 22:41:31 -0400
Furrity is my precious friend and Gift from God, 4 years old, who has an
enlarged spleen and a problem with diarrhea.  From what I have read about
splenomegaly in ferrets, the diarrhea/gastroenteritis could be the cause
of the enlarged spleen.  Antibiotics have helped clear up the diarrhea,
but it always comes back when the antibiotics are stopped.

After blood tests, which were negative except for some mild dehydration,
the vet seems to think he has a food allergy, and I have switched his
food from Totally Ferret, which is chicken based, to Eukanuba adult cat
food lamb and rice formula - mainly because it is the only food I can
find that is not chicken or poultry based.  The analysis is similar to
Totally Ferret with Crude Protein not less than 34.0%, Crude Fat not less
than 21.0%, and Crude Fiber not more than 2.5%.  His diarrhea has gotten
significantly better, although he still has it at least once a week.

I was wondering if any of you have had this problem and if there is a
non-chicken based ferret food out there anywhere.

Thanks!
Melanie, Furrity & Sam-I-Am