From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:51:13 -0500
When looking at liver enzymes a vet needs to consider the things in
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/Clin_Path/ClinPath.html

Which blood tests were done?  Have you considered an ultrasound of chest
and abdomen (including to see there may be hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
since personal experience and that of others is that it is among the
things that can cause weight loss)?  Is your vet familiar with ferrets?
What other symptoms are present?  How old is the ferret?  Weight loss
is a very general symptom with a number of possible causes.

There is a lot of info at the many health sites to be found by using the
links in the Critical References Section of
http://www.ferretcongress.org.

Another trick for those who pull their own stitches is to use surgical
glue on top of the stitches.

Rebecca wrote:
>I coulda (yes, coulda is a word, lol) sworn that I had read that rabies
>vaccines were good for three years... but the reason why they are truly
>recommeded every year is due to the fear that the public wouldn't
>remember them as well.

It varies across species.  For example when rabies vaccines were first
being tested to see which ones would be find for ferrets some just didn't
work, some had strong side effects, and one actually lasted only for 6
months in ferrets so that one was eliminated.  There was a lot of good
work done to see which ones were possible options.  There just is NOT the
needed data existing to know how long over a year the Imrab 3 will work
well enough in ferrets to provided decent levels of protection, mybe a
month maybe a year, maybe whatever...

Oh, and I found out since I send out my post which appeared on Saturday
that the unusual Purevax situations with multiple reactions from one
batch did not involve any known bad handling or bad storage.  The reports
I've heard otherwise have been excellent in that reactions still happen
but are at a lower rate.  The report is from a reputable source I trust,
though, so I have no idea what happened there as a cause, just that the
reactions did happen.

Shron, many things that are okay for dog's for their teeth can cause
fatal blockages in ferrets.  Instead go with Foamy Fries, Cheweasels,
or Marshall Chews.  You can find them at http://theferretstore.com and
elsewhere.

I've never heard of that food but if you look at the store's site above
you'll find info on comparing foods and also check the International
Ferret Congress site up near the top of this post.

Milk Bones.  Gosh, we haven't bought them in quite a while but they sure
did go over as a treat here.  So did some other dog biscuits.

Our problem is keeping Sherman away from raw asparagus.  I have to cut
TINY -- really, really tiny bits of a very small portion of the center
pulp when he sees us with it.  To him it is the world's perfect flavor
so we have to be very careful.  It is *not* a food which is suitable for
ferrets.