From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:08:03 -0500
On  Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:23:03 EST,   Lisa Weisensale  wrote:
>Anyone have good treat ideas for a ferret with insulinoma?  Peanut
>loves the sugar and I feel terrible giving treats to 3 other ferrets--
>She actually looks up at me like "uh, mom?"  Poor thing.

I keep some grocery-store cat food (Meow Mix or something like that) on
hand for my cats; although the cats are fed better food than that, they
still like the cheap stuff for snacking.  The ferrets, can't get to the
main cat food feeding area, but they can get to the 'special' bowl I put
the cheap food in, and they will steal food every chance they get.

One day I was out of ferret treats and grabbed a few of the cat food
kibbles.  The kids loved it!  So now it's one of my standard treats, and
although it isn't a good ferret food, I think it's much better for them
than other treats, such as raisins, cheerios, or yogis.

I've also noticed that if there is a brand of ferret food that I haven't
used for awhile, getting it becomes a 'treat'.  I bought a sample-size
bag of eukanuba kitten food, which two of my guys grew up on, and it
lasted quite awhile as a treats.

As far as offical treats are concerned, the Totally Ferret treats are
very popular with my guys.  I think they're essentially flavor-hyped
ferret food.

Claire
(Sam, Frankie, and Missy are asleep, so they can't read how I'm fobbing
them off with cat food)