From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:42:42 -0600
OK - I challenge everyone out there to share a more endearing story than
this (I'm sure there's plenty though and would love to hear them!).... If
I didn t believe in angels before last night, then I certainly do now!

(WARNING: The following event may cause serious sniffles and watery eyes
so read at your own risk, preferably with a box of tissues handy)

Yesterday I received official positive insulinoma test results on my
precious fuzzie, Snowball, and after an all-to-brief cuddle time with
him, I had to head out and get some stuff accomplished.  Well, a two-hour
trip lasted a whopping SEVEN hours longer than I had anticipated and so
there I am at about 9:15 pm stuck in the school computer lab, frustrated
like never before with our slow and totally outdated computers,
absolutely famished, very tired and worn, and overall just feeling really
crappy while I m sitting there thinking of how much I miss my fuzzies and
wishing I could be home with them.  And of course I m thinking the worst
about Snowy and wondering how much longer I m going to have him and if we
ve caught the insulinoma quick enough, etc ... To make matters worse, I
began wondering if my kiddos were thinking right about then that I ve
totally abandoned them because I m not usually away from them more than
3-4 hrs.  at a time most often during the day due to my flexible schedule
as an unemployed, full time student.  They ve gotten rather used to this
and that s why it stressed and bothered me so much yesterday.  So I m
finally on my way home at 9:45 pm and thru the entire drive I m thinking
how nice it will feel to eat, get into my comfy clothes, catch up on the
fuzzie hugs and kisses then go to bed!

I get in the house and have just enough strength to fall down on the
couch for a quick R&R but then I suddenly feel this really strong
presence staring at me and it startles me awake after not more than a few
minutes of napping.  (Usually when it s that quiet I can always here one
of the fuzzies coming).  Well, I look down to see that Snowball has come
out of nowhere and is standing frozen in front of me, like he does every
morning when he wakes up and wants to be cuddled and get his body massage
and a good face scratchin to help him wake up (he s NOT a morning
ferret)!  As tired as I was, how could I possibly say no to the handsome,
adorable white fluff looking up at me, begging for some loving?  So I
muster up enough strength to pick up him up and cradle him on his back in
my right arm like usual.  Well, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind
that Snowy must have sensed how tired I was because instead of sprawling
out spread-eagle like he usually does, he just curled up in a ball and
cuddled with me as if to tell me that he just wanted to comfort ME and
didn t need anything from me this time.  Well, that is when I just
absolutely lost my senses as I looked at him being so peaceful and loving
and letting me know how much I was needed at that moment, despite his
newly diagnosed condition.  And then, out of nowhere, after about 5-7
minutes of cuddling, Snowy did an amazing thing - he just looked up and
began giving me kisses, as if he could really sense how much I truly
needed him right then.  I have no idea what he might have been wanting
to or trying to convey to me but it was so overwhelming that I began to
sob and he just kept kissing away every tear as it streamed down my face.
I don t know how long I sat there with him as I just cried and cried but
it seemed like eternity and then he did another amazing and shocking
thing - he crawled off of me, around the couch to his hidey-hole, and
dragged out his PRIZED squeaky toy, laying it in front of me while he
just stood there staring at me.  I couldn t tell if he was offering it
to me or signaling that he wanted to play but either way, that was very,
very unusual for Snowy because he is fiercely protective of that ugly,
monstrous toy and drags it everywhere so that it s never out of his sight
(and I do mean DRAG because it s about 3 times the size of his tiny head
but he manages to get it in his teeth and proudly prances around with it
as he s transporting the thing wherever he wants it).  Anyway, I squeak
it thinking he wants to play and he just sits there.  Squeak, squeak,
squeak again but nothing from Snowy.  So I pick it up and squeak some
more as I m simultaneously picking up Snowball to rock him to sleep since
it s way past his bedtime by then.  But instead of playing, Snowy curls
up in a ball with the toy in front of his face (where he can clearly
sense it he s blind) and he falls asleep and there we all stayed all
night and slept... Snowball, monster toy, and me and it was, without a
doubt, the most relaxing and peaceful sleep I ve had in years thanks to
my precious little white fuzzy.

Jen, Sasha & Snowball