From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:09:00 -0500
Well, first off they don't get rhinovirises (colds).  They DO get
influenza and they do get sinus infections, either of which can look like
a cold.  They also do get dust up their noses and some get respiratory
allergies.  They can get pneumonia and can get pleuresy.  Canine
Distemper has had people mistake it for a cold early on.  Also people
have mistaken coughing from cardiomyopathy for something respiratory; and
it is possible for a ferret to have cardiomyopathy, to have pneumonia, or
to have pleuresy without the cause being obvious unless the vet also does
chest x-rays or sometimes ultrasound.  Listening is not enough.  Like so
many vets have said they do for their own ferrets we always have chest
x-rays done for coughing unless it just the occasional eating-too-fast
type.  So, the best bet is to have the vet examine the ferret.  What is
done depends on which medical problem is present.  There are approaches
out there, the type depends on the problem.  Do AVOID OTC (over the
counter) meds, though, unless the vet okays the ingredients.  Too many
which are safe for humans can easily kill a ferret.

Selina, that sounds like a fun way to practise what you are learning in
class to reinforce good methodology.  I know there are either-or people
out there who just can't see shades of gray or accept that anyone else
does, but good science involves having to stay open and putting less
emotional value into hypotheses than into good questions.  have to be
careful about emotional attachments to possible answers.  Of course,
you already KNEW that, but maybe not everyone did, and I think that is
why this got to be an upsetting topic for some folks.