From:
Melissa McDaniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:11:24 -0500
A while back I got creative and covered an old wood baby gate with fabric
to put up between the FFZ and the bathroom.  Tonight I did another one
to put at the top of our stairs so we can keep the bedroom door open and
get plenty of fresh air.  I finally have two pictures of the front and
back of the gate.  It was cheaper than buying a weaselwatcher and it's
something that can actually look like a bit decorative as well as being
very functional.  The first gate I bought for $4.00 at a thrift shop
and I used fabric I had on hand.  (don't know how much I used.  I never
measure, just start cutting and see where it takes me usually...) I can
figure it out pretty easily if anyone really wants to know.  I used 5/16
staples and a easyshot stapler (very nifty gadget- I can staple anything
from paper to wood to plastic with it!) It also didn't take long at all
to do.  I finished the one I did tonight in less than an hour.  I was
feeling really motivated with the first one and I painted the wood black
before I stapled the fabric on to it and it looks pretty darned neat.
This time I just went with the natural wood and it looks just as well.
How decorative you go depends on how motivated you are.  The only actual
alteration to the gate that you have to make is to widen the four
brackets on it (two top and two bottom) If you don't and you use thick
fabric they don't slide well.  ( I used a slightly furry type of fabric
and it worked great) Otherwise there's really little work involved and
it was the most creative/least expensive thing I could think up.  So far
none of mine have been able to get over it.  It probably won't work for
those with more daring Weasel Conevils, but I thought I'd pass it along
in case anyone wanted to use the idea.  (I had thought about making them
myself and selling them, but I figured shipping wouldn't make it worth
it.) If anyone doesn't have the time or would like me to make them one I
would be more than willing to figure up a guesstimate.  Email me and I'll
send you pictures!

Melissa