From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 00:15:35 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=3656

>well, onion had an ultrasound and it showed two ballooned adrenal glands.
>my vet didn't give me much hope.  he said that it would be extrememly
>difficult for onion to cope with no glands.

Bilateral adrenalectomies are done all the time in my neck of the woods.
The trick is to realize that once the surgery has been done, the ferret
will require supplementation with medications that he can no longer
produce.  Pred and Percorten are what I tend to use, pred and Florinef is
also commonly used.  These ferrets can do quite well, so surgery remains
an option if Onion can withstand the actual procedure.

Dr. Ruth
Find it. Fix it. And fly again.