From:
Jean McKim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:32:14 EST
I remember when I first had ferrets, it was 1985.  I was working in a
pet store and telling prospective ferret parents about what my home
experience was and how much I loved them.  They looked at me and asked
me what my parents thought of the ferrets.  I remember being floored and
said I don't know, but my husband likes them.  I was 23 or so at the
time.  I always was being mistaken for a younger person (at least until I
had my human kids and got white hairs!).  My point, I guess, is that at
that time I was responsible enough to have ferrets.  Bojangles lived to
be 5 and Gwennie died in my arms at 9.  I went to grad school, ferrets
in tow, and have since had 5 human kids without ever giving up a pet on
account of that.  So don't judge by age, or even by how young a person
looks or seems.

I feel the same way about adoptions to people with children - take it on
a case by case basis.  I got my cockatoo (and a ferret) from someone who
had a baby late in life and "didn't have time anymore".  All her birds
and the ferret were stuck in the dark stuffy basement.  It is all a
matter of individual priorities and circumstances and must be taken that
way.  I will never regret adopting ferrets from Amy Flemming.  Misty and
Kari had good lives and Mister is still dooking like a champ.  And I had
4 kids at the time.

Jean