From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:22:32 -0500
Dawn, ECE doesn't reoccur in ferrets with normal immune systems.  Some
other intestinal disease can, and ECE can leave damage which can be
further irritated at later times, or which can lead to things like IBD.
I suggest going to http://www.ferretcongress.org and from the critical
references there link to the AFIP page by Bruce Williams.

Fur loss on the tail only is usually only dermal.  It is usually not
adrenal.  Fur loss elsewhere is more likely to be a sign of adrenal
problems.  For this I suggest that you read recent vets posts at
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ferrethealth .  I alos suggest that
you look up "rat tail" in the FML and FHL Archives at
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html and
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/ .
By knowing these four websites a person can find or find links to a huge
number of the useful website ferret health things out there.  They are
very much worth bookmarks.

Rectal prolapse: we moisten food for very young kits.  Very mild ones we
moisturize; they go in fast that way.  For moderate ones we use plain
Preparation H or Cortizone cream or gel, or a combination, a trick
learned from vet, Dr. Bruce Williams, who recommends them because they
reduce inflammation.  For bad ones we usually get a simply purse-string
done.  This involves just a few stitches to the rectum.  Usually serious
surgery is not needed.  Any large, dark red, or purple prolapse needs
emergency veterinary attention.

Respiratory woes: it may be viral infection instead of a bacterial
infection, as you say.  Influenza is certainly seen a lot this time of
year.  The sites mentioned above will help you.  Antibiotics are useful
if a secondary bacterial infection begins.  Do NOT use OTCs (over the
counter medications) because some of the ones for humans can cause
permanent serious damage to ferrets and can even kill them, even at tiny
doses.  DO consider steaming the ferrets by holding them up high while
you run a shower or by some other safe method.  That tends to help a
great deal.

David, both you and he would be safer with the drops that your vet can
provide.

Linda wrote:
>I recall Bob Church has discussed this before, though I don't remember
>if it was on this list or the Ferret Health List.  He talked about
>something referred to as the "Star gene"

It was in the FHL last year but I may have carried it to FML, and soon
after there was an incredible post by geneticist, Dr. Brett Middleton, on
KIT which goes into it in more detail, so don't miss that one, either.

Troy Lynn wrote:
>The words collector and hoarder are often tossed around in the animal
>community with incorrect meanings.  Hoarders/collectors are NOT defined
>by the number of animals, they are defined by the care of and environment
>of the animals.

YES!  There are excellent resources on hoarding which can be found
through links at the International Ferret Congress site mentioned above.
Hoarder tend to not provide needed medical care (which is a form of
abuse).  The worst ones don't provide enough basic care even: food,
water, play, etc.  Feces can be spread all over.  You get the picture.
It is thought to be due to a dangerous mental condition.