From:
LEO HUSER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:00:26 -0500
I think what you are trying to do is a great thing.  If Kodi is ill, and
Hope is so attached, it will be a difficult situation for her to adjust
when Kodi crosses the bridge.  If there is another ferret for Hope to
seek "refuge" with, I think that is a good thing.  It is like humans, we
like someone to lean on.  I also think that it would make it easier for
Hope to adjust to Kodi's passing (if and when).  If she could get
attached to another ferret, I think it would ease the pain.  I think it
would also be a good idea to initially introduce Hope to the new ferret
first, on their own, without Kodi at first.  Let her get used to him
before he is introduced to Kodi.  That way, they can begin to establish
a bond, and Hope can begin to realize that there are others that she can
attach herself to.

We just added number 9 to the family yesterday, and all is well already.
We have gotten 5 of the 9 from a shelter south of us.  The ones we have
picked up have always been labled as pairs.  "Oh they are so bonded
together" etc, etc.  Well, when you get them into a house of so many
others, the "bond" theory falls away.  Ours love each other equally.  I
think that when one is to pass, it won't be as difficult on the others,
as they will still have many playmates and sleeping buddies.  It won't
bother them as much, as they will be proocupied with the others.  Of
course, they will all sense a loss, but it will be easier as there will
always be someone else to lean on and play with.  You are also doing a
smart thing by keeping them separated for a period of time.  We usually
do that too, but we were bad, and failed to do that yesterday.  So, don't
listen to me there!

I guess what I am saying, is you are doing a great thing for Hope.  It
seems to be known that people, along with animals, live longer if they
have someone by their side.  I think Hope would be better off in the
future with another warm fuzzie by her side.  Our theory at home is, you
can never have to many!

Best of luck to you and your famaily!  You and your kids are in our
prayers!

Angela, Leo and the furries (Rugsy, Ralphie, Daisy, Dagwood, Bear, Bingo,
Peekers, Pepper and the newbie-Alex)