From:
William Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:46:22 -0500
>From:    Krista Templeman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: SND (sleeping not dead)???
>
>Well last night I had my first experience with this "coma-like sleep"...
>very scary!  I had read about it before and knew in the back of my mind
>that it happens but when it did, my mind went blank.  Buddy was asleep
>in my arms for a while and when I picked her up she didn't move, stretch,
>yawn, nothing....I started calling her name, still no response, I gave
>her to my boyfriend in a panic, as he was sat next to me.  He took her
>while I completely panicked saying she was dead, needless to say I was on
>the kitchen floor sobbing like crazy when Buddy walked over and crawled
>in my lap, looking at me like I was a fool.  While I was hysterical, she
>had woken up.....it took me a few minutes to register what had happened.
>I went to my "ferrets for dummies" book and looked up excessive sleeping
>and found out, what I already knew, that it was completely normal.  I am
>still however very shaken up over it.  I know, I must sound like a way
>too overly protective Mom, but it scared the heck out of me!  I honestly
>thought she was dead.  I guess what I'm looking for is some reassurance
>from a more experienced ferret owner who has been through this before,
>I'm even still scared to pick her up incase it happens again....
>
>Krista Templeman

Dear Krista,

I've been there.  Its very scary but very natural.  When I first got
Bailey (he's our oldest at about 4) I worried alot about adopting an
older ferret.  You know disease, short life span, etc.  etc.  Well he was
asleep in his hammy.  I was working on the computer and hadn't really
noticed him but when I got up I saw him laying in the hammy, his hanging
over the side and his tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth.  I
freak!  I freaked out of the room.  I freaked back into the room.  I
freak down the hall to get Patrick, I freaked back to the room.  And
then Bailey raised his head up, yawned and lipped his lips and gave this,
"why are freaking dad?" look.  I think at that point I passed out from
freakhaustion.  :) I think all of us have been gotten by the fugitives
from a furcoat at one time or another.  Welcome to the club :)

Dooks,
Hawk & Patrick,
Salem, Faye, Bandit, Bowser, Bailey, Ferry and Sugar the ferts
Pyewacket  & Azriel the cats
and Smokey the African Grey
Blessings to all animals great and small and those of us who love and
adore them.