From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 07:06:56 -0500
Kathy Gallagher wrote
>I'm going to have to say I made a very bad recommendation and an error
>in judgement.

Yes, but then you did the right thing.  In front of thousands of your
peers, you took responsibility for your actions, and admitted you made a
mistake.  That takes great courage and shows a high standard of personal
ethics.  I admire both.  Plus, you have brought a problem to our
collective attention, which isn't bad.

I have always believed you can tell far more about a person's character
from the way they handle mistakes than what they say or do.  Does the
person deny the mistake?  Do they try to defend it, or invent reasons
justifying the mistake?  Do they hide behind other people, or quote
"rules" that prevent addressing the issue?  Do they continue to defend
the mistake, regardless of the harm they do to others?  Or do they take
responsibility for their actions and learn from their mistakes?  I am
very happy to see you have high standards of ethics and obvious courage.

As far as I am concerned, this is behind us.  I admire your courage and
ethics.

Bob C