Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:26:17 -0500
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=3037

Dear X - let's not jump straight to lymphoma.  The high white count is
of concern; however, in this old an animal, it is not unusual to have a
lymphocytosis without it being lymphoma.

I am primarily concerned about the possibility of a gastric ulcer here
due to the recent stress, the anorexia, and a gastric ulcer will cause a
leukocytosis, as the eroded gastric epithelium allows bacteria and toxins
across untouched, which then cause fever and a high white count.  The
fact that she is not eating, and living on her fat stores is the reason
for the high liver enzymes.

It is difficult to make very specific diagnoses here, but I would look
at the GI tract first and foremost, and not jump to the conclusion of
lymphoma here.  As a general rule, if a peripheral node is not large,
the necessity of aspiration or biopsy is not there - there's no lymphoma
in that node.  Aspirating a normal size node will yield no useful
information.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM