From:
jbardwel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:11:43 -0500
Hi!

Recently purchased a new cage for my 2 yr old female ferret, Emmy.  Her
old one was getting very difficult to clean and keep up and Emmy was
getting sneezing fits to beat the band (and I was, too.)

So, last night I picked up a cage I'd been eying in the local pet shop
for some time.  It's great.  There's a back door that makes the litterbox
instantly accessable.  A self installed second tier and the hammock from
the old cage give Em lots of room, even though the cage is only about 2
cubic feet.

The jinx is that Em (1 lb, 3 oz) can slip right through the 1.5" by 5"
bar gaps by twisting like a contortionist.  Fortunately, she isn't
exactly hopping in and out, and seems content with her new home.  This
cage was originally intended to be a small dog bathroom trainer.  If Em
was even a teeny bit bigger in the shoulders, I don't think she could get
through.  I put her in an H-harness last night (she could slip through
still, but not as easily).  I recently bought a bell collar and she's
wearing that, now.  She has only slipped out so far due to my coaxing her
with a toy or to come out into my arms, but I'm worried she'll slip out
when I'm not home.  Any advice?

sincerely,
Jeff