From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:49:01 EST
In a message dated 1/22/03 5:02:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, Brenda Zupko
writes:
>Here's the question, would a vet find it as an insult to receive the
>video from just a quote "ferret lover"  I mean I am not a complete idiot
>or anything and I would do anything for my monsters and I find out all
>I can about them.  But I would in no way consider myself any sort of
>"Ferret Guru" as many of you are.

I do not know your vet, or your relationship with your vet, and those 2
things can be very important in how he might feel about such a gift.
However, I frequently buy and give my vet books and videos on ferret
health topics, and they are always well received.  My vet has been
treating ferrets for many years, and is considered by some to be a ferret
vet guru.  However, there are always things to be learned, and he is
always happy to have new reference materials.  And, while he frequently
gets calls from other vets asking his opinion on ferret medical
questions, he does not have a know it all attitude.

What I am getting at is, your vets view of himself can have a lot to do
with how he would receive a gift of the video.  If he is open to learning
from other professionals, he would probably be very grateful for your
gift.  However, if he views himself as an expert that already knows all
there is to know, he might be offended.

Additionally, the relationship between you and your vet can be important.
I have known my vet for many years, and we are friends as well as vet and
client.  Because I have many ferrets, I am sometimes down to see him as
much as once a week, and we chit chat about personal stuff as well as the
medical stuff during the exam.  If he was someone that I only saw once or
twice a year, and he only knew my name because it was on the ferret's
record, I might be less likely to give books and videos to him as gifts.
But, because I know him, I know that he loves to read reference materials
and articles and keep abreast of what is new.

I realize this isn't much of an answer to your question - there are too
many variables for me to be comfortable saying either yes or no.  But,
hopefully what I have said will help you reach a decision.

Take care.
Danee
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom