From:
Amy Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 13:46:48 EST
To anonymous: please do not discard your desire to go into the field
of wildlife rehab because of the ignorance of one person.  Non-profit
organizations need our assistance but they may be represented by an
individual whose people skills are less than desirable.  Once you go
behind the scenes, chances are you will find the people who do care for
the animals as much as you do (if all else fails, write a letter to the
Executive Director or Board President expressing your concern).  I have
successfully bottle raised baby bunnies after their mothers met with a
mishap - it can be difficult but rewarding (I have released some as well
as lost some).  We have a rehab in this area and I called them after a
tree was felled and discovered it contained a nest with three baby flying
squirrels.  I called them twice and they never returned my call.  I
called veterinarians, but they would not treat wild babies.  I have cared
for motherless kittens and bunnies and I called upon this experience to
attempt saving these babies but I failed.  If necessary in the future, I
will again take on the role of surrogate mother regardless of the outcome
because I will know I tried to the best of my ability and knowledge.

All animals depend on the education and success of future caretakers
whether they be vets or shelter parents.  If this is where your heart
is, please stay the course :)

 ... Amy